Saturday, August 4, 2012

Mason Jar Soap Dispenser

Holy crap July really flew by! I've been anticipating August this whole year though, so I welcomed its arrival. I move in to my new apartment in less than three days! Needless to say I'm as stressed out as can be making sure Ive packed everything and that all my projects get completed on time. Once I get my room set up, I'm going to be posting a crazy amount on here with all of my summer projects that I've been keeping to myself. But tonight I have finished one of the easiest crafts of all time and it's hands down one of my favorites. I go nuts for the little details of a room that really tie everything together. This one only takes a few materials:

- 1 Glass Mason Jar
- 1-2 Bottles of soap (I used bath and body works)
- A flat head screwdriver (or chisel) a hammer, scissors and pliers.

First take the flat top of the mason jar and draw a dime sized circle in the center of the back side. Draw an X through the circle. Place on a piece of scrap wood and line your screwdriver up with the first half of one of the lines of the X. (The screwdriver probably isn't wide enough to do the whole line at once so you have to break it into two parts). Use the hammer to hit the back of the screwdriver into the lid until you pierce through to the other side. Repeat on the rest of the X marks until you have cut out an X shape in the middle of your lid. Use pliers to bend the triangles back to make an open box in the top of the lid and then hammer them flat.

 Take your soap dispenser and remove the pump. Push the pump through the hole you made in the lid. Test to see if the pump is short enough to fit in the mason jar. If not, trim it with scissors until it fits. Fill the jar with soap (If you want it all the way full you'll need maybe 10-12 oz. One dispenser from B&BW wasn't enough). Screw on the lid cover and voila! You have your very own mason jar soap dispenser. How's that for handy. And it only took me probably 10 minutes. I made one for my bathroom and one for the kitchen. You could also make some for lotions also. I might even make some as gifts this holiday season.. I love how these look and they'll match any color scheme. I hope you give this one a try!

Craftfully yours,

-June



No comments:

Post a Comment