Monday, February 25, 2013

Spring Break Beach Bags


I have to be honest, I'm getting so totally sick of February. It's been cold and wet all month so I really can't wait to hit the beach in a week! That's right, it's finally spring break season. This year I'm going to Clearwater with my two amazing roommates! Last year, one of my roommates and I went to Destin with our boyfriends. It was our first real spring break so we decided to make these adorable beach bags for the trip! They're really easy to make and personalize. If you're looking for a last minute easy DIY project for your own trip, look no further!

You'll need:
- A plain canvas bag, you can them in all different sizes and colors at Michael's or Hobby Lobby.
- Puff paint of all different colors
- Ribbon of your choice, for the trim. This is optional but I think it really added something else. The thicker the better.
- Trim beads. Get a little more than the length of the bag on both sides. We found this great fake pearl trim that I love.
- Unique stitch. It advertises that it's sewing in a tube. It's pretty much heavy duty fabric glue.






The first thing you'll want to do is the trim, if you decide to. Measure out the length of ribbon and trim and make sure it is long enough to go all the way around the bag. Then, using the unique stitch, glue the ribbon and the trim together so that you have one piece to work with. Once it's dry, glue the piece to the bag very carefully so that it lines up with the top edge. Once that is dry all you need to do is decorate! My roommate and I monogrammed one side and then decorated the other with things about spring break and where we were going. The hardest thing about this project is waiting for it to dry! It's also a good craft for kids to do. Have fun and give it a try. I'm also racking my brain for any ideas to do for this year's trip! I was thinking about making cute tank tops or hats but I haven't come up with anything that really grabbed me. Help me out and post your own spring break project ideas in the comments section!  Happy spring break!

                                                     -June 

No comments:

Post a Comment