Sunday, April 21, 2013

Spring Time Wreaths


I can't be happier because I finally got my apartment all ready for spring. The weather is getting warm (and staying that way) and I've really wanted to be able to sit out on my porch and read a good book. Well I finally found some cheap enough patio furniture and, even though it's already covered in pollen, I've already gotten some good use out of it. The porch just didn't feel finished though, so I decided to take a trip to Michaels and see what I could find. I walked right into a giant sale on wreath material, lucky me! I had arranged a fall wreath last October but I had nothing for spring. I decided to get one for the porch and one for the front door. Wreath making is a lot like flower arranging and it's much less intimidating than it seems. 

Here's what you need to make a cheap and cute spring wreath!:
-One (or two) wreath bases, I used the grapevine ones, but stores have styrofoam and wooden bases too
-Silk flowers, which ever colors best suit you.
-A pair of wire cutters
-Accessories, I got a small wooden sign and a wooden owl
-Acrylic paint, for the accessories if needed.
-Ribbon, if desired.

All you have to do is trim the silk flowers so each stands alone, instead of in a bunch. Once you have them it's as easy as arranging a vase. I like the grapevine wreaths the best because they allow you to tuck the wire stems in deeply so the flowers don't fall out. Keep sliding in flowers until the wreath is covered to your liking. Then add your decorated accessories and you're done! Making a wreath was so easy that I made two. They're fairly inexpensive and easy to customize. Happy crafting!

-June

No comments:

Post a Comment