Monday, November 5, 2012

Magnetic Bottle Cap Table



Happy November! I love this month because its the kickoff to winter and all of its festivities! What a better way to start it than to put up a post I've been anticipating since the idea came to me.


I wish I knew how to patent things because this one is truly awesome, and an original. Fun fact, did you know bottle caps are magnetic? Neither did I. I knew when I had my own apartment I wanted to make a bottle cap table. I was reading up on them and the idea started to sound like a pain. Traditional tables include having to set the caps in resin and it can be messy. Also, you better love your design because you're stuck with it. I diverted all of these problems with my brilliant idea of a magnetic bottle cap table.

The best part about it is that you can change out the designs you make. I started out by making a peace sign, a butterfly and then just a standard pattern. I had planned on making a jack-o-lantern at Halloween but I sadly only had one orange bottle cap. I decided for fall I would stick with an owl, because they're my favorite. Once December rolls around I'm going to make a Christmas tree and then a snowman in January. The possibilities are truly endless and this is a fun way to switch up your annual decor.

This project didn't cost me much at all. I had most of the things I needed on hand. I found the actual table at a yard sale for three bucks. The most expensive part for sure is the magnets. They'll cost about $15. As for the glass, I had a piece that was 1 inch short. I compensated for that by creating a border out of corks that I dyed darker. It also acted as an edge to hold the glass in place, win-win! If you want to make one of your own, here's what you'll need:

A table, any size you'd like.
A piece of glass about the size of the table.
Corks for the boarder, if desired.
About 150-180 magnet disks
Spray paint, I used black.
150-180 bottle caps
 Craft glue
Felt

I noticed that Garden Ridge sold the same type of table I had if you can't find one to use. First, spray paint the table if needed. Once dry, fit the piece of glass on the table. Draw the outline of the glass onto the table to measure your border. Then adhere the corks around the table to form the border. Next, cut out circles from felt the same size as the magnets. This is important because the magnets aren't quite high enough to reach the bottle caps, so the felt will help them magnetize. Next glue the magnets felt side down onto the table about 3/4 of an inch apart. Wait for them to dry and then start designing your table!

I hope y'all enjoy my modern take on a bottle cap table and try it out for yourselves! Happy fall y'all!



-June

*Sorry for all of the Pin Marklets, I can't get rid of them! They're multiplying on their own..

No comments:

Post a Comment